The Nutritional Benefits of Oats and Oat BranAdd to Recipe Box
Oats are whole grains and not only share the amazing health giving properties of whole grains, but have wonderful benefits that are unique to this tasty grain.
Any oats nutrition information you read will show that this grain is a wonderful source of both soluble and insoluble fiber.
Read more about oats below and see the benefits of including this high fiber, low fat staple into your diet.
Oat and Oat Bran Nutrition Facts
The high fiber content of oats and oat bran makes them valuable foods in the prevention of many cancers, including colon cancer. It also protects against heart disease.
Most nutrition experts tell us to get at least 13 grams of whole grain fiber and 6 grams of fiber from fruit each day. One cup of oatmeal has 3.98 grams of fiber in it, which makes it a great breakfast to put on the table on a regular basis.
Oats also help reduce cholesterol. Research shows that one bowl of oatmeal per day can reduce cholesterol by up to 23%.
As a whole grain, oats also fill you up and can lessen your calorie requirements at your next meal. Great news for those of us watching our waistlines.
Oats have been shown to help many Type II diabetics better manage their blood sugar levels. Consumption of oats on a regular basis may actually help to prevent this wide spread disease.
Getting more oats into your diet:
- Try good old fashioned oatmeal for breakfast.
- Add oats to your meatloaf instead of bread crumbs or crumbled bread to make it a healthier food choice.
- Bake a batch of oat meal muffins or oat bran muffins. Add a few raisins, chopped dried apricots or fresh fruit for extra taste and nutrition.
- Got a bread machine? Oatmeal bread is delicious.
- Sprinkle oats mixed with a bit of butter or margarine on the top of any fruit crisp for a delicious crunch.
- Make your own homemade granola for breakfast. You can also add it to yogurt or puddings or eat just as is as a snack.
If you like this page, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.