How to Carve a TurkeyAdd to Recipe Box
Whether you are cooking Thanksgiving turkey, Christmas turkey, or any day turkey, it’s the turkey carving that befuddles many of us.
Here are a few simple steps to properly carving that delicious bird.
1. Use both a carving knife and fork to hold the turkey steady or hold it steady with your hand as you cut. If using a fork, put the fork into a fleshy part of the bird to stabilize it. Use the knife to cut the leg/thigh portion off the bird. Twist with your hand if necessary to disconnect bone.
2. Cut thigh from drumstick at the joint, again twisting with your hands to disconnect if you need to.
3. Insert the fork into the thick part of the dark meat and use the knife to slice the dark meat from legs and thighs.
4. Cut off wings using the method outlined for legs in point 1.
5. With the tip of the knife toward the body cavity, carve the breast meat thinly, using a back and forth movement of the knife. Gradually angle the knife to slice into the thicker part of the breast.
6. Continue to slice thin slices of breast meat from the turkey.
You’ll find our classic roast turkey recipe, with gravy, here.
If you like this page, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.