Indonesian Recipes: Soto Ayam
Indonesian recipes may be new to some of us but they are healthy, delicious and easy to make.
Soto Ayam is an Indonesian chicken soup, with the light and savory flavors that represent that style of cooking.
1 lemon, cut into wedges
2. Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the chopped shallots, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, black pepper, and turmeric. Cook, stirring constantly, until the aroma is apparent, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
3. Combine the broth and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt with the chicken, giblets, and shallot mixture in a soup pot. Bring to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 45 minutes. Skim often to remove the foam that rises to the surface during simmering.
4. Remove the chicken from the broth and, when cool enough to handle, remove the bones from the chicken. Return the bones to the broth and continue to simmer for another hour, skimming as needed. Meanwhile, dice the chicken meat and set aside.
5. Place the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a simmer. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and spread the potatoes in a single layer to cool.
6. Soak the beans threads in hot water to cover until tender, about 5 minutes. Rinse and separate the strands under cool running water. Chop into 2-inch pieces and set aside.
7. When the broth has simmered for an hour, strain it through a fine sieve. Mix the soy sauce, chili paste, and sugar together; stir into the strained broth.
8. Add the diced chicken meat, cooked potatoes, soaked bean threads, scallions, chopped eggs, and celery to the broth. Bring to a simmer and add a squeeze of lemon to taste.
9. Indonesian recipes like this tasty soup are nice served in heated bowls, garnished with fried shallots. Pass lemon wedges on the side.
Makes 8 servings
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.
Did You Know?...
The list of ingredients in this recipe may look long, but the recipe is quite easy to make. The seasonings and vegetables added really up the flavor level.
Asian soup recipes are a great way to introduce yourself to new flavors and ideas. With a few simple ingredients you can take yourself to a whole new culinary world.
This recipe comes from a wonderful new soup cookbook from The Culinary Institute of America, The New Book of Soups.
You just know that if the recipe comes from the CIA, it will be authentic and delicious.
Indonesian recipes pair well with our Thai Asian noodles. Look here for the recipe.
Create Your Own Personal Pages:
Share your favorite easy recipe, tip or comment with others in our community!
Go to our home page.
FoodStuff Newsletter |
Our Cookbooks |
Healthy Diet |
10 Things for a Healthy Lifestyle |
Keys to a Healthy Lifestyle |
Healthy Recipes |
Calorie Calculator |
Easy Dinner Recipes |
| Soups |
Meat Recipes |
Easy Desserts |
Fish and Seafood |
Eggs and Brunch |
Italian Recipes |
Cooking Lessons |
10 Healthiest Foods |
Comfort Foods |
Cooking Measurement Conversions |
Cooking Substitutions |
Cooking Terms |
French Cooking Terms | Cooking Magazines |
Christmas Gifts |
Holiday Recipes |
Kitchen Store |
How I Built This Site |
Kitchen Carts |
Contact Us |