Nectarine Mango Jam (No Pectin Added!)
No Pectin Added Nectarine Mango Jam
No-Pectin Added Nectarine Mango Jam
3 cups TOTAL Nectarines / Mangos - fairly ripe (see below for tips on amount of fruit needed*)
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 table spoons lemon juice
**You've got choices when you make this jam. My household prefers "no chunks" in jams, so, I used a combination of nectarines/mangos that when pureed in food processor made up the 3 cups.
- Chop up peeled fruit, enough to equal 3 cups. (I used my food process to blend)
- If you are blending, pulse it on/off to ensure an even pureed and get rid of all the big chunks of fruit
- Pour 3 cups of fruit into a medium size pot
-Add Sugar / Lemon juice, and turn on to medium-high heat
- Stir mixture so everything combines well
- Bring fruit mixutre to a slow simmer, stirring frequently so you do not burn the bottom.
-Jam should be reduced to almost half - about 30 or so minutes.
- There are several ways to test in the no-pectin jam has jelled enough. The 2 method's I've been using, are as follows:
1 - using a candy thermometer, stick in the middle of jam, not touch bottom. Jam is ready when it hits 220F
2 - Using a clean, cool metal spoon, dip spoon in jam, lift, and if the mixture drops off 2 drops at a time, it's ready. (when you first put jam on stove, try it with the spoon, you'll see the mixture oozes right off, when the jam is ready - it'll just drip off 2 drops at a time)
- Once Jam is ready, remove from heat, and ladle into the containers you are wishing to store the jam in. Make sure they are clean and dry.
- Let cool on the counter, and if keeping it as fresh jam - place in fridge once cool!
- for complete recipe & detailed pictures - visit: http://www.notjustachick.blogspot.ca/2012/07/nectarine-mango-jama-taste-of-summer.html
Click here to post comments.
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How?
Simply click here to return to Join In - Share your favorite easy recipe, tip, or comment !.
Subscribe to our free newsletter, FoodStuff for tasty, easy recipes, tips and the latest news! Plus...our free subscriber bonus recipes.