Apple Bread Recipe2014-01-09
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
3 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 1 loaf
- Servings : 10
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:15 h
This information is per serving.
This easy apple bread is a delicious quick bread recipe.
It is a real year round recipe, but in the fall, when apples may be plentiful and reasonable in your area, make up a few batches and put them in the freezer for later.
There is nothing like fresh apple bread any time of year, and work free if it comes from the freezer!
Harvest Apple Bread Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 to 3 McIntosh apples, peeled and chopped (or other cooking apples)
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/4 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and allspice. Mix them all together well. Cut butter into pieces and blend into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the apples. Add the eggs and milk and stir until it is all combined.
Pour the batter into a in greased 9"x5" inch loaf pan and bake for 60 to 70 minutes.
Cool the loaf pan on a rack for 5 minutes before removing it from the pan, then turn the bread out and leave on the rack. Cool completely before slicing.
This wonderful quick bread recipe stores well wrapped in foil.
- If you prefer cinnamon to the taste of allspice, simply replace the allspice with an equal amount of ground cinnamon.
- The recipe calls for McIntosh apples, and in my area of the country they are the perfect apple for this quick bread recipe. You can replace it with the apple of your choice. The only thing I would recommend is to make sure it is a cooking apple. Some varieties are not appropriate for cooking, such as Delicious. McIntosh, Spartan, Cortland, Spy apples are all perfect. I am sure there are others in your area as well.
- McIntosh apples cook down into nice soft bites of apple within the loaf. Some apples retain their shape and are firmer when cooked. Chose whatever apple gives you the results you prefer.
- Much like muffins in this way, the secret to keeping quick bread recipes light is to mix the dry ingredients together very well before adding any wet ingredients are added. That way you don’t need to over beat the mixture to combine the ingredients.
Make it Healthier:
You can make this wonderful apple bread even healthier by replacing all or part of the all purpose white flour with whole wheat flour. The one thing I strongly suggest is to sift the flour. Sifting seems to be a lost art. No one does it much anymore. But it does take most of the larger pieces of bran out of the whole wheat flour and it results in a much lighter loaf than if you don’t sift it.
You can also add more nutrition by adding 2/3 cup of chopped walnuts to the batter. Not only does it add delicious crunch and flavor, walnuts are also extremely healthy for us and great to eat on a regular basis.
If you like this recipe, please Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.