Apple Crisp Recipe2013-04-17
Average Member Rating
(4.8 / 5)
4 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 55m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat125
A sweet apple crisp recipe – it even sounds like autumn.
Although apple crisp or apple crumble is a perfect dessert recipe for fall, when a wide variety of apples are fresh and at their peak, this recipe can easily be made and enjoyed year round.
See below the recipe for information about the types of apples to use in this recipe.
- 4 to 5 medium cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- dash salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Mix apples with sugar, cinnamon and a touch of salt. Place sliced apples in 8 inch square non-stick baking pan or pan sprayed with cooking spray.
For the topping, in a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon, oats and walnuts. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or cross cutting with 2 knives, until you have coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the apples.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until apples are tender and crumbs are golden. Serve warm or cold with a dollop of whipped topping or ice cream.
Here’s a suggestions to top it off:
Mix together 1 cup of whipped topping and 1 tablespoon of thawed orange juice concentrate. Add a dollop to the top of each serving.
Tips and Variations:
- I am not a nutmeg lover. You can substitute 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon with 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg if you wish. I just love the cinnamon/apple combination myself.
- Add 1/3 cup prepared frozen orange juice to the apple mixture for a bit of a twist. If you do this, add a few tablespoons of flour to the apples.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below. Thanks.