Cranberry Baked Brie Recipe2013-04-20
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
12 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 1 baked brie
- Servings : 4 to 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 1:30 h
- Ready In : 1:40 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat112
I love baked brie. It is one of my favorite hot appetizers or party foods.
So easy to make, yet it really looks like a gourmet appetizer. Who would think it was a crock pot appetizer recipe?
You will need a 1 to 3 quart slow cooker for this recipe, or see the instructions below for baking it in the oven.
- 1 wheel (7 oz/200 g) double-cream Brie cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) water
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL)chopped toasted pecans
Place the Brie in the slow cooker stoneware, if using 1-quart size. Otherwise, cut a 12-inch (30 cm) square of foil; center Brie on the foil, then fold the foil up around the Brie, scrunching it around the sides to form a foil dish, leaving the top exposed.
In a bowl, combine the cranberries, brown sugar, water, vinegar and pecans. Spoon this mixture on top of the Brie.
Cover and cook on High for 1 1/2 hours or on Low for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until center is soft and the cheese starts to bulge around the edges. If you are using a mini slow cooker without a choice of heat settings, check the Brie after 1 hour.
Serve from slow cooker or transfer carefully to serving dish. Serve warm with crackers.
Tips and Variations:
- Look for a Brie wheel that is no more than 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. It should bulge slightly within the rind.
- If you’re serving a big group of people, you can use a larger Brie wheel and double the topping mixture. If the Brie does not fit snugly into the stoneware, make sure you wrap the bottom and sides of the cheese with foil.
- You can substitute Camembert for the Brie (but remember that Camembert has a stronger aroma and flavor).
- You can also bake this recipe in the oven. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350ºF for 10 – 15 minutes until the cheese is very soft.
Did You Know?…
This amazing appetizer party food recipe comes from a new cookbook called Canada’s Slow Cooker Winners: 300 Easy and Satisfying Recipes. We have been given permission to share it with you.
Donna-Marie Pye, the author of this cookbook, has developed some amazing recipes for the slow cooker, many I would never have thought of. She has this to say about her baked brie appetizer party recipe:
“This is one of the most popular treats at any party. Whenever someone puts it out, everyone gravitates to the table and digs right in. I thought, Why not try it in the slow cooker? I used the tiny, 1-quart size slow cooker; however, if you don’t have that size, wrap foil around the bottom and sides of the cheese to keep it enclosed. Otherwise, you will end up with a gooey mess.”
I really think this recipe will be the hit of your next party! I’ve made it and it’s fabulous.
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you would Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, and Like it on Facebook. Share your own favorite recipes below. Thanks.