Almond Blueberry Coffee Cake2013-04-23
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 1 - 13"x9" cake
- Servings : 15
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 1:5 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat138
Our blueberry coffee cake with a toasted almond streusel topping is absolutely delightful.
It is a very easy cake recipe and can be made with either fresh or frozen blueberries.
That makes it an easy year round treat.
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Cream the softened butter, gradually add the sugar, beating them together until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg is added. Stir in the 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Combine the flour and baking powder and stir into the creamed mixture, mixing well.
Spread the batter evenly into a greased and floured 13"x9"x2" glass baking dish. Sprinkle with the blueberries and remaining lemon juice. Combine the flour, sugar and almonds for the topping. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle the topping over the berries.
Bake at 325°F for 40-45 minutes.
- You can also mix the blueberries into the cake batter instead of laying them on top. Left on top the blueberries will sink into the cake a bit, but if you want to mix them in, add them gently to the batter before putting the batter into the baking dishes.
- What does creaming the butter mean and why do we do it? Cream the butter by “scrunching” it with a fork, over and over again, until it becomes lighter yellow in color. That adds air to the butter and helps to ensure your cake is nice and light in texture.
- This delicious coffee cake can easily be changed to suit your taste. Replace the blueberries with fresh raspberries for a refreshing change. Or try using sweetened dried cranberries. You can also substitute chopped or slivered almonds for a lovely almond coffee cake, great with the almond topping.
Did You Know?…
The recipe calls for it to be made in a 13″x9″ baking dish, but you can also make it in loaf pans. Just bake it for a little bit longer and make sure the center is cooked through before you remove it from the oven. (Test it by insertng a toothpick in it. It is cooked when the toothpick comes out clean.)
Test it by inserting a cake tester or toothpick into the center. It is fully baked when the tester comes out clean.
Easy streusel coffee cake recipes like this one are always welcome.
This is a great recipe to make ahead and keep in the freezing in case you have last minute or unexpected guests.
Friends and family will all love the mix of flavors in this lovely homey coffee cake.
It is a wonderful basic coffee cake recipe that you can change up quite easily. See our tips below for some great suggestions.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below. Thanks.