Oat Bran Blueberry Muffin Recipe2013-04-23
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
4 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 12 muffins
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat45
This is a delicious recipe that adds the nutrition and taste of oat bran to a wonderful blueberry muffin recipe.
These muffins are not just a treat, they are amazingly nutritious too.
I think you will really enjoy them.
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (see * below)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen. If using frozen blueberries, make sure they are completely thawed and well drained.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Combine oats and buttermilk or sour milk in a bowl. Let stand.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar in a larger bowl. Stir to mix well.
Add egg and melted butter to oat and milk mixture. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir only until all ingredients are moistened.
Carefully fold in blueberries, stirring only to distribute them evenly through the mixture.
Fill 12 muffin cups 3/4 full and bake at 400°F for 15-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Tips and Variations:
- The secret to great tender muffins is to mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients well separately, but once you put the wet ingredients into the dry, stir to mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Over mixing will give you a heavier, less tender muffin.
- Omit the blueberries and add 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped, plus 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to turn this treat into a delicious oat bran apple muffin recipe.
- To make this oat bran blueberry muffin recipe into apricot oat muffins, omit the blueberries and add 1 cup of chopped dried apricots. Soften in warm water before adding to the mix for added tenderness.
- To make sour milk put 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into a 1 cup measure. Fill cup with milk. Let sit for a few minutes to sour while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
Make it Healthier
With lots of healthy blueberries, oats and oat bran, these muffins are already pretty healthy. You can up the nutrition count even more with a few changes to the recipe. Here are my suggestions:
1. Use whole wheat flour instead of white flour. I always recommend sifting whole wheat flour before you use it in baking because it lightens it up. It works perfectly in the recipe thought, adds nutrition and still tastes great.
2. Add some nuts. 2/3 cup of walnuts to this recipe. You will love the crunch and walnuts are SO healthy.
Both the oat bran and blueberries are two of our healthiest foods.
Look here for our complete list of 10 healthiest foods and see why this recipe is so good for you.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below. Thanks.