Bran Muffin Recipe: Delicious and Healthy2013-04-23
Average Member Rating
(2.8 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 12 muffins
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 25m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat46
This healthy bran muffin recipe makes yummy moist muffins that are so delicious you won’t know they’re really nutritious too.
The raisins add sweetness and moisture. The walnuts add crunch and even more nutrition.
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 - 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup molasses or honey
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Stir together the bran, flour, soda and baking powder. Stir in raisins and set aside.
Blend the milk, molasses, oil and egg. Add to the dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
Spoon into 12 greased muffin tins. Bake for 15 minutes at 400ºF or until muffins pull away from sides of cups.
- Replace the raisins with an equal amount of chopped dates for delicious date bran muffins.
- Replace the raisins with dried cranberries for a wonderful taste treat. A great combination is cranberries and blueberries. Use fresh or frozen blueberries and mix them with the flour so they don’t sink to the bottom of the muffins.
- Add 1/2 cup apple sauce for extra moisture and sweeetness.
Did You Know?…
A high fibre bran muffin recipe like this one isn’t just good, it’s good for you.
Made with whole wheat flour and wheat bran, this is a very healthy muffin recipe your family will love.
Check out the CookingNook.com variations above for tips on how to vary this one basic recipe with simple ingredients.
The chopped walnuts add crunch and extra nutrition. Look here for information about why walnuts are one of our 10 healthiest foods.