Pineapple Carrot Muffins2013-04-25
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
2 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 12 muffins
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat104
Here is a sweet, but very healthy recipe for pineapple carrot muffins.
It is a healthy recipe for many reasons.
First of all, there is very little sugar, just 1/4 cup of honey for the entire batch of muffins.
That is because the sweetness comes from the carrots and from the addition of crushed pineapple, rather than lots of sugar.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Combine the honey, oil and beaten eggs in a medium bowl and stir to mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon in a separate bowl and mix together well. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and stir just until blended. Add vanilla, grated carrots, pineapple and walnuts. Stir until just blended. Line muffin cups with paper liners and fill 2/3 full.
Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
Notes and Variations:
- As always with muffins, mix the dry and wet ingredients together just until they are well mixed, no more. If you over mix any muffin batter, the muffins will not be as tender as they could be.
- This is such a healthy muffin recipe, there is not much sugar in it to begin with. If you prefer totally sugar free muffin recipes, replace the honey with a sugar replacement such as Splenda. You will have to replace the liquid you would get from the honey with water or milk. I would suggest using half of honey and half Splenda. Then just add 2 or three tablespoons of water, milk or pineapple juice.
Did You Know?…
You can even replace the small amount of honey with Splenda or any other bakeable sweetener to create a totally sugar free or diabetic muffin.
Another reason these muffins are so very healthy is the whole wheat flour, which adds healthy fiber to the recipe. The carrots and pineapple are healthy vegetables and fruit.
Like this recipe? We’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.