Coleslaw: KFC Cole Slaw2013-04-29
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6 to 8
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 20m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat47
Coleslaw is the perfect summer side dish recipe.
It is welcomed at every barbecue, picnic and summer dinner and fits in perfectly with most buffets at any time of the year.
Everyone loves cole slaw, especially this version of a KFC coleslaw. The slight sweetness sets off the crunchy cabbage wonderfully.
KFC Style Coleslaw
- 8 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
Cut cabbage and carrots into very small pieces (about the size of rice kernels is about right). Place in a large bowl and mix together.
In a bowl combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar and lemon juice. Beat until it is smooth. Pour over the cabbage and carrots. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to mix.
- Up the color level by adding some chopped red cabbage in with the green. Remember though that it may color the dressing a bit pink.
- Try finely sliced or chopped red onion for zip and color. I love it in cabbage salad.
- My favorite seasoning in cabbage salad is celery seed – not celery salt but the small seed. You can get it in the spice section of your local grocery store. Sprinkle it over the cole slaw generously. It adds a nice subtle flavor.
- If you want the coleslaw to resemble KFC coleslaw, use a food processor to get the pieces very small. If you don’t have a food processor, grate the cabbage on a mandolin (manual grater). If you cut the cabbage by hand, just try to get it as thin as possible.
This recipe is not fancy. It just adds a bit of shredded carrots for color.
See other variations and options below.
Cabbage is very healthy for us. It is part of the vegetable family that includes broccoli and cauliflower. Look here for information about why these vegetables should be a part of many family meals.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.