Average Member Rating
(4.4 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 20m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat111
I love fish cakes. They are so easy to prepare and a great way to use up baked fish leftovers.
You don’t have to save this recipe for leftovers though. Just steam, bake or fry up some fish and get going on tasty cakes for dinner.
Easy Fish Cakes
- 1 pound cooked, flaked fish (see below recipe for types of fish to use)
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Dash each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
Combine all ingredients except the bread crumbs and oil. Shape the mixture into patties. Coat the fish patties in bread crumbs.
Preheat the oil in a skillet. Pan-fry the fish cakes in batches in hot oil until crisp and brown on one side, then turn and brown the other side. Each side will take just a few minutes. You are only trying to get the ingredients hot and the breading crispy. Everything is already cooked.
Serve with homemade tartar sauce and wedges of lemon.
- Shape the fix mixture into any shape you choose. The usual is to make the patties mentioned above, but you can also make fish balls or quenelles, which have an oval tubular shape. The image shows ball shaped fish cakes.
- Cod, haddock, turbot, ocean perch or Boston bluefish work very well in this recipe.
Did You Know?…
This is a great way to get kids to eat fish. They will probably love it mixed with mashed potatoes and covered in bread crumbs.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.