Fish Chowder Recipe2013-05-05
Average Member Rating
(4.5 / 5)
2 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 35m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat61
This easy fish chowder recipe is a fairly healthy recipe.
It just uses a bit of butter for flavor and adds healthy ingredients like garlic, onions, tomatoes and herbs.
I love any recipe where I can include garlic and onions. Both of them are just so healthy for us.
- 1 pound white fish, boned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed or finely chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 - 14 ounce can tomatoes
- few sprigs of thyme
- few sprigs of parsley
- 1 - 2 bay leaves or 1 bouquet garni
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
Make sure the fish is boned and small bones are removed as much as possible. Cut into even-sized pieces.
Melt the butter and sweat the onions, crushed garlic, and diced potato for about 5 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes with the herbs and seasoning. Add the hot water. Bring it all to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked. Add the fish for about the last 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning and make sure all the fish is cooked. Add the milk and stir over a low heat for a few minutes.
Sprinkle the bowls of chowder with chopped parsley. Serve with French bread or crusty rolls.
- Haddock chowder is wonderful and this recipe works really well with haddock.
- Use any boned white fish for this except very thin fish like sole. The sole will virtually disappear into the chowder because it is very thin and will break up as it cooks.
Did You Know?…
And they make anything they are added to just sing with flavor.
This is a simple and easy fish recipe that can be ready in less than 1/2 hour.
Don’t you just love 30 minute meals? I do.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.