Frittata Recipe with Mediterranean Vegetables2013-05-06
Average Member Rating
(4.8 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 55m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat156
A frittata recipe is very much like an omelet, but baked in the oven. It is basically an Italian omelet.
Frittatas are one of my favorite egg recipes. They make a wonderful light lunch, with a side salad and a perfect brunch recipe or part of a brunch buffet.
I hope you enjoy this one.
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced (225 g)
- 2 tablespoons oil (30 ml)
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled (250 ml)
- 1 tomato, diced or 12 grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped finely (75 ml)
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (1 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (1 ml)
In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and red peppers and saute for 10 minutes over medium to medium low heat, until they are softened and the moisture from the mushrooms is evaporated. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, red pepper, cheese, tomato, basil, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Pour the mixture into lightly greased 8x8 inch (20.5 x 20.5 cm) or large round pie plate baking dish and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until frittata is cooked through.
It should be golden brown around the edges and a knife inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- Thinly slice 1/4 of a zucchini and add it to the pan 1/2 way through the mushroom and red pepper cooking time.
- Spinach is another nice addition. Just make sure it has been cooked down before you add it to the egg mixture, so the excess water is removed.
- Also try chopped asparagus. A great in season addition to the frittata.
- I bake my frittatas in a glass pie plate and it works really well. You can then slice the frittata into nice pie shaped wedges for serving and it looks great on the plate.
- Don’t forget to spray the baking dish before adding the egg mixture. It helps the pieces come out of the pan cleanly.
- I also add a touch of milk or cream to the eggs. Cream adds a nice richness to the recipe.
I also love frittatas for dinner. They are a great way of using up whatever leftovers you have, including those little bits of vegetables that you just need to get rid of.
They are also quick and easy to put together, which make them great week night easy dinner recipes.
This particular recipe incorporates vegetables and flavors that are Mediterranean in origin.
Frittatas are also very healthy. Fill it with healthy vegetables and get your protein from eggs. They are great for a diabetes low carb diet.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.