Greek Salad Recipe2013-05-07
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
3 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 4 to 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 10m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat193
This is an authentic Greek Salad Recipe, a delicious and healthy salad recipe, great for lunch, dinner, summer, winter or any time.
I love Greek salad.
There is just something about the combination of lettuce with that yummy dressing, the slightly salty Feta cheese, the black Kalamata olives, the nippy onions and the coolness of the tomato and cucumber.
It is a mixture that really can’t be beat.
- 1 head crunchy lettuce, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced or cut into chunks
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, cut in half and sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup black Kalamata olives (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, and onion in a large bowl. Pour enough olive oil over the salad to just coat it. Add the lemon juice and oregano. Season well with salt and pepper and toss the salad. Adjust the seasoning to suit your taste and toss again.
Add the crumbled feta cheese and the olives to the top of the salad before serving.
Serves 4 to 6 as a side salad, 2 or 3 as a lunch portion salad.
- Adjust the lemon juice to taste. I would juice the lemon separate from the salad rather than right into it to prevent you from making overly lemony. You may need a bit less than the juice from a whole lemon or a bit more, depending on your taste and the amount of other ingredients you are using.
- Red onion adds a nice bit of color to the salad. They are also nice and mild.
- The traditional olive that the Greeks use in this salad is Kalamata olives. If you can’t get them or prefer another kind, simply substitute your favorite. The Kalamata olives really work well in this recipe though.
- Add a grilled, sliced chicken breast to the salad to make it a complete meal.
Did You Know?…
The Greeks add lemon juice and olive oil to just about everything and it sure does work here. It is an amazing taste combination.
Add a bit of sliced grilled chicken and this salad becomes a delicious meal in a bowl.
The Greeks really know their salad!
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.