Green Bean Casserole Recipe2013-05-07
Average Member Rating
(4.7 / 5)
3 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 40m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat86
I heard about this green bean casserole recipe for years and never tried it. What could be so good about a green bean casserole I thought?
Well, it is good, very good in fact, and very easy to put together.
Green Bean Casserole
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (use low fat if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- dash pepper
- 4 cups cooked cut green beans (See Variations)
- 1 1/3 cups French Fried Onions
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Mix soup, milk, soy, pepper, beans and 2/3 cup onions in 1 1/2 quart casserole.
Bake for 25 minutes or until heated through. Stir and then sprinkle with remaining onions. Bake 5 minutes more.
Tips and Variations:
- Use 1 – 16 to 20 ounce bag of frozen green beans, 2 – 9 ounce packages of frozen green beans, 2 – 14 to 16 ounce cans, or about 1 1/2 pounds of fresh green beans for this recipe.
- If using fresh green beans follow these easy tips. Refrigerate unwashed fresh green beans in an airtight container for up to four days. To quickly cut fresh green beans, bunch together a handful and cut crosswise or diagonally into 1 inch pieces.
- When cooking, bring out the flavor by adding a pinch of sugar to the cooking water. Cook until tender crisp, but not overdone.
- Here’s a tip! A woman who has worked at a fresh vegetable market for years told me that just mixing fresh steamed green or yellow beans with the undiluted cream of mushroom soup and heating it up is delicious. I haven’t tried that yet, but if you are in a hurry it sure sounds worth a try.
Personally I would never use canned green beans in this recipe. They are cooked beyond recognition. I would use fresh green beans, and blanch them (cook for just a minute) before adding them to the rest of the ingredients. In a pinch, use frozen.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.
Did You Know?…
Don’t save this fantastic recipe just for the holidays. This is one of those vegetable recipes that is great for entertaining or every day.
Green bean recipes are wonderful for entertaining. Most people love them.
Even your kids will eat their veggies with this easy recipe!