Key Lime Pie Recipe2013-05-09
Average Member Rating
(3.7 / 5)
18 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6 to 8
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 24m
- Ready In : 39m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat177
So many people ask me how to make an authentic key lime pie recipe.
It is simple really, as you will see here. If you can get your hands on real key limes, they work best.
Key Lime Pie Recipe
- 15 graham crackers, crushed (equals 1 cup of crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 large eggs, yolks only (see the variation below and use the whites too)
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 12 key limes, juiced or 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (3 to 4 regular limes)
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 cup whipping cream
Preheat oven to 350°.
Mix the crackers, butter and sugar together. Press into a 9” pie dish. Bake for 12 minutes until the pie shell is golden.
Meanwhile beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer until they lighten in color and thicken. Add the condensed milk and 1/2 of the lime juice, and whisk until combined. Add the remaining lime juice and the lime zest. Mix to combine thoroughly.
Pour the lime mixture into the pie shell, and bake at 350° for 12 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Whisk the whipping cream until it forms soft peaks. Cover the lime pie with the cream and serve.
- This recipe calls for a whipped cream topping on the pie, but like lemon pie, key lime pie is also wonderful with meringue. Leave the oven on after the pie is baked. Use the egg whites left over from the recipe, whip them until they form firm peaks (adding a few tablespoons of sugar near the end of the whipping), spread the meringue over the pie and bake for 5 minutes until it begins to look golden brown. Perfect meringue topped key lime pie.
Did You Know?…
Key limes are smaller and sweeter than regular limes.
No matter what anyone tells you, regular limes will work too, so go ahead and try it if you can’t find key limes. The only thing is you may need to add a touch more sugar.
Key limes are available in most areas these days so hopefully you can find them.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook, leave a comment add your own favorite recipes below.