Low Fat Muffin Recipes: Apple Muffins with Walnuts2013-05-12
Average Member Rating
(3.5 / 5)
2 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 12 muffins
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 40m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat32
This walnut apple muffin recipe is one of the tastiest low fat muffin recipes you will find.
I love apple and walnuts together.
Each of them is such a healthy food choice.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 rounded teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons oat bran
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored and chopped (Granny Smiths work well)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 375°.
Mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and salt.
Mix together eggs, apple juice, and buttermilk.
Stir flour mixture and oat bran into egg mixture until dry ingredients are just moistened. Do not overmix.
Gently stir in chopped apples and nuts.
Grease 12 standard size muffin cups or line with cupcake paper liners.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until lightly golden and tops spring back when pressed.
Transfer muffin pan to wire rack to cool a bit then turn muffins out on to rack to cool.
Enjoy these apple muffins as they are, or if you want to get a little decadent, add a bit of butter.
Makes 12 muffins.
- Try other juices instead of the apple juice, like pineapple, mango or orange. Use your imagination.
- Replace the walnuts with pecans for a delicious treat.
- For a pretty presentation, thinly slice an apple and place one slice on each muffin before baking.
Did You Know?…
I add walnuts to almost every batch of muffins I make. They add a nice crunch and so much goodness.
These easy to make healthy muffins will delight young and old alike.
And no one will even suspect they are low fat muffins!
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.