Mandarin Almond Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing2013-05-12
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 10m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat209
This mandarin almond salad recipe is so easy and so absolutely delicious, you will make it over and over again.
Like most salads, you don’t have to stick to the exact ingredients, which is why I have offered you so many variations that will taste very good as well.
- 1 can mandarin orange sections, drained
- 1/2 cup whole blanched almonds or slivered almonds
- romaine or butter lettuce, torn into bite size pieces or baby spinach
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Place the almonds on a baking sheet and toast for a few minutes until golden brown. Watch every closely as they can quickly burn. Allow the almonds to cool.
Whisk all the dressing ingredients together. Toss the dressing with the lettuce and add the orange sections. Sprinkle the almonds over top of the salad and serve immediately.
Tips and Variations:
- This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled or quadrupled to serve as many as you would like.
- Use chopped cashews in place of the almonds.
- Some people add sliced red or green grapes to the salad.
- This salad is a nice addition to a buffet table.
- You can also “toast” the almonds in a dry frying pan over low heat.
Did You Know?…
The traditional lettuce for this salad is a soft butter lettuce, but you can also use romaine.
It tastes wonderful with spinach as well, although baby spinach is best.
You can use fresh mandarin oranges, but the canned ones are juicy and already peeled so much easier to use.
Watch closely as you toast the almonds. They can move quickly from golden to burnt.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.