Beef Pot Roast Recipe2013-05-18
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
4 people rated this recipe
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 3:000 h
- Ready In : 3:20 h
This amazing pot roast recipe comes from Carrie Gamble. Carrie wanted to preserve the wonderful recipes her grandmother made and did, in a wonderful cookbook Grandmothers Cookbook.
A pot roast simmers for a while, so is a perfect method for cooking less tender cuts of beef.
Pot Roast Recipe
- 3 to 4 pound beef roast
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash of black pepper
- pinch of ginger
- 1 to 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 stalks celery, cut into large pieces
- piece of green pepper
- 1 tomato, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into large chunks
- small piece of yellow turnip (or rutabaga)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 wine or sherry
Wipe the meat with a paper towel to dry it. Mix together the flour, salt, pepper and ginger. Rub mixture on all sides of the meat.
Heat the oil in a heavy roasting pot. Brown the meat on all sides. Place the vegetables around the roast. Pour water and wine or sherry over the roast. Place lid on the pot and simmer on the stovetop for about 3 hours. This pot roast can also be baked in the oven at a medium heat (about 350ºF) for the same length of time.
For the gravy:
1 heaping tablespoon flour
1 to 2 cups water
Remove meat. To the essence in the pan add the heaping tablespoon of flour plus the water. Cook, stirring often, until thick. Strain the gravy (including the vegetables)) through a sieve. Makes a most delicious gravy.
- If you don’t want to use sherry or wine to flavor the pot roast, substitute an equal amount of beef broth.
- Don’t you just love these old recipes with a pinch of this and a dash of that? I do. For those who want a better reference to follow, just add a small bit of the ingredient that says pinch or dash, about 1/8 teaspoon, up to just under 1/4 teaspoon if it is an ingredient you particularly like.
Pot roast may be an old time recipe, but it is timeless and as popular an easy dinner recipe as it was in our mother’s time.
This is a deliciously seasoned recipe for beef pot roast, complete with vegetables that cook on the side and become part of the sherry flavored gravy.
This is a good diabetic recipe too.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.