Recipe for Homemade Tomato Salsa2013-04-20
Average Member Rating
(2.9 / 5)
17 people rated this recipe
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 45m
This recipe for homemade tomato salsa is one that is especially good to make in the summer when the tomatoes are ripe, plentiful and sweet.
Recipe for Homemade Tomato Salsa
- 8 cups tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1 1/2 cups onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 6 -7 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white (or black) pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium once it comes to a boil.
Simmer, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and ladle into hot, sterilized jars. Seal and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes if the salsa is to be stored for a while.
If you do not process the salsa in the boiling water bath it must be eaten within a few days.
This tomato salsa recipe makes 6 - 2 cup jars.
Enjoy all year round. This recipe also makes a great "from the kitchen" gift.
- Add chopped hot peppers or hot sauce to your taste to up the heat content.
- Add 1 cup of sour cream to 1 cup of salsa for a delicious creamy dip.
This recipe is gluten free, fairly low carb and a great diabetes recipe. It actually suits most diets and eating requirements quite well.
This salsa recipe calls for processing for long term storage.
It is a great recipe to make up if you want to have access to your homemade tomato salsa any time of year.
It stores for a long time when canned and can be enjoyed all year long.
However, if you intend to eat it within a few days, there is no need to process it in the boiling water bath.