Seafood Pasta Recipe:
Seafood Stuffed Shells
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 50m
This information is per serving.
This easy seafood pasta recipe is perfect for entertaining.
Stuffed pasta can take many forms and flavors. In this version, jumbo shells are stuffed with crab, shrimp and mushrooms in a rich, creamy sauce.
It’s absolutely delicious. Don’t wait for guests to come over. Make these creamy stuffed shells recipe any day of the week as a great treat.
Seafood Stuffed Shells
- 12 jumbo pasta shells, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine (or chicken stock)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 ounces crabmeat, flaked
- 4 1/2 ounces cooked shrimp
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento (optional)
- grated Parmesan cheese
Bring water to a rapid boil in a heavy four quart saucepan. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Gradually add the shells, making sure that the water continues to boil. Cook the shells uncovered until they are tender but still quite firm, stirring occasionally. With a slotted spoon, remove the shells from the water and drain them well. Cover to prevent them from drying out.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes. Remove mushrooms and set them set aside.
Stir the flour into the butter. Cook over low heat until bubbly, stirring constantly. Continuing to stir, blend the milk, cream, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper into the flour mixture. Cook until the mixture thickens, about five minutes. Remove from the heat. Blend 1/2 cup of the hot sauce into the beaten egg yolks. Gradually add the egg yolk mixture to the remaining sauce. Stir in the sherry and Worcestershire sauce.
In a medium bowl, mix together the crab, shrimp, sautéed mushrooms, pimento(if using) and 3/4 cup of the sauce. Stuff the pasta shells with the seafood mixture. Pour most of the remaining sauce into an 11" x 7" baking dish and arrange the filled shells on top of the sauce, reserving the rest for the top. Spoon a little of the sauce over each shell and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
Makes 4 servings, but easily doubles or triples to serve a larger group.
- You can replace the sherry or wine with chicken stock if you prefer a non-alcohol version of the sauce.
- Some people will say that you aren’t supposed to use cheese with seafood pasta recipes. I think it depends on the recipe. In my opinion, this velvety cream sauce with seafood is perfect with the addition of Parmesan cheese. If you don’t agree, simply leave it out. It will still taste great.
I like to steam some spinach and serve it in the plate with the creamy stuffed pasta shells. It adds a wonderful bit of color, great taste and extra nutrition.
This is a wonderful entertaining recipe. Your guests will love the rich creamy stuffing and it’s fairly easy on the pocketbook. You really don’t use that much seafood because this recipe really stretches those expensive ingredients.
Just add a large salad, a side vegetable and some wonderful crusty bread and your feast is ready!
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below. Thanks a lot.
Submit your own recipe below in the comments section. I would love to help you share your creations with the world.