A Healthy Split Pea Soup Recipe2013-05-20
Average Member Rating
(4.4 / 5)
10 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 35m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat13
This is the best split pea soup recipe I have. It is so delicious!
Split pea is a hearty soup and makes a great lunch or light dinner with just a piece of good bread or a salad.
Split pea or split pea and ham soup is tasty to begin with, but this recipe adds garlic and a few herbs to kick it up a bit and add layers of flavor.
I think you and your family will love it.
Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 2 cups split peas, rinsed
- 6 cups cold water
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk with leaves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper to taste
- dash each of parsley, thyme, marjoram and cayenne pepper
In a large pot add peas with 6 cups of cold water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until the split peas are tender.
Add chicken broth, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, sugar, lemon juice, bay leaf and all spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for another 1/2 hour or until carrots are soft.
Remove the bay leaf. Cool slightly. Puree in a blender for a smooth soup or leave as is.
This soup freezes well. Put individual servings in the freezer for quick meals on cold days.
- Omit the chicken stock and simmer the soup with a ham bone, for a traditional split pea and ham soup.
- While peas are simmering, in another pot, cook 1/2 cup of barley with 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until most of the water has been absorbed. Drain and rinse barley with cold water. Add barley to pureed pea mixture. Heat soup and serve.
- Replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock for a hearty and healthy vegetarian soup recipe.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.