Thai Chicken Recipe2013-05-22
Average Member Rating
(4.6 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 35m
- Ready In : 50m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat553
This is a delicious Thai chicken recipe, rich with the full bodied flavors of Thai food.
This recipe uses lemon grass, a traditional seasoning in Thai food.
You can buy the red curry paste in pretty much any grocery store now, but if yours doesn’t carry it, an Asian grocery store will certainly have it.
Thai Chicken Recipe
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) lemon grass, chopped
- 3 tablespoons (40 ml) canola oil
- 8 ounces (225 g) eggplant, chopped into cubes
- 2 - 14 ounce (398 ml) cans light coconut milk, shaken
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) red thai curry paste
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1 - 10 ounce (284 ml) can bamboo shoots, sliced
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 4 carrots, peeled & cut into matchsticks
- 6 ounces (170 g) fresh green beans, trimmed & sliced into sticks
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- cooked whole grain Basmati rice
Saute onion, ginger and lemon grass in a skillet using 2 tablespoons of oil for 5 minutes. Add eggplant and remaining oil. Saute until the eggplant is soft, approximately 15 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, water, thai curry paste to taste and the soy sauce. Add the bamboo shoots and chicken and bring it all to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the carrots, beans, red pepper and the cilantro. Simmer until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, which will be approximately 10 minutes.
Serve over the cooked rice.
- Lemon grass can be hard and tough, so chop it into fairly small pieces to use in this recipe.
- You can use regular canned coconut milk instead of the light variety. Choose whichever you prefer.
- Basmati rice is the traditional rice used in Thai cooking, but long grain white or brown rice will work well also. Choose your favorite.
Did You Know?…
I love Thai recipes and it is great to find you can cook them at home quite nicely and create that authentic (at least I think it is!) flavor.
Lemon grass is very fragrant and adds a soft but distinctive flavor to many recipes from Thailand.
Coconut milk is another traditional flavoring from this part of the world. It is common in Thai curries and in many other recipes from that region.
Coconut milk is quite luscious. It adds a wonderful distinctive flavor to anything it is added to. As we are finding out, coconut is extremely healthy for us too. As are most of the other ingredients in this fantastically flavored dish.
This recipe for Thai chicken is a pretty good diabetic recipe if you don’t eat a lot of rice with it. Load up on vegetable side dishes instead.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do. I think you are in for a real treat.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.