Three Bean Salad Recipe2013-05-22
Average Member Rating
(4.8 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 10m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat52
This three bean salad recipe is a wonderful taste of summer that can be enjoyed all year round.
It’s light and refreshing for summer, but it’s sweet tangy refreshment is just as welcome during the cooler months.
I am not sure exactly how many people the recipe will serve, but is a recipe for a crowd. Feel free to halve the recipe for a family dinner.
Three Bean Salad
- 2 - 20 ounce cans green beans, drained
- 2 - 20 ounce cans yellow beans, drained
- 1 - 15 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed (or mixed beans)
- 2 medium onions, sliced into thin rings or half circles
- 1 large green pepper, sliced into strips (optional)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
Put all of the beans into a large bowl and mix well. Mix the beans gently so you don't mush the canned green and yellow beans.
Place all dressing ingredients into a jar and shake well or mix together well in a bowl. Pour the dressing over the beans, mix and refrigerate.
This is best made the day before to allow the flavors time to meld together. Serves a crowd.
- This bean salad recipe works wonderfully with fresh cooked beans as well, so is especially good to make in the summer when local green and yellow beans are plentiful.
- Replace the sugar with sugar substitute and this bean salad recipe will fit into just about any healthy diet plan.
- The original recipe called for 1 cup of sugar but I scaled it back by half to make it healthier. Use more if you prefer.
- Add a small can of chick peas (also called garbanzo beans) for added color and interest.
Did You Know?…
3 bean salad is a traditional favorite at pot luck suppers and a hit at any BBQ or picnic.
If you are a beginner cook like I was the first time I tried this recipe, don’t forget to drain the canned beans. My first recipe didn’t tell me to do that – so I didn’t. The result was a very unattractive mess that no one really wanted to dig into.
This recipe though is delicious. I think you will be very pleased.
It is also a healthy recipe if you use less sugar. Even better if you use fresh cooked green and yellow beans instead of canned.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.