The Best Turkey Stuffing Recipe2013-05-23
Average Member Rating
(3.3 / 5)
22 people rated this recipe
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 25m
There can be quite a debate about the best turkey stuffing recipe. We all have our favorite.
This is a recipe for a delicious traditional turkey stuffing.
I have provided ideas for a few wonderful additions and twists too. Sometimes I stick to tradition, sometimes I choose to shake it up a bit.
Turkey Stuffing Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 14 cups dried white bread, cubed
In a large frying pan, melt butter over a medium heat. Fry onions and celery together with the dried herbs, salt and pepper, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to a very large bowl. Add the bread cubes and mix well.
If you are making the stuffing ahead: Transfer the cooked vegetable mixture to a large bowl. Let cool and refrigerate in an airtight container for 24 hours. Mix with bread cubes before stuffing the bird.
Stuff the turkey at both ends with this mixture. (see our Roast Turkey Recipe for directions on stuffing the bird).
IMPORTANT: Stuff the turkey just before baking it. Do NOT stuff the bird ahead and let it sit, even in the refrigerator. It can become infected with bacteria and make you quite ill.
- Add 1 cup fresh chopped parsley for extra fresh herb flavor.
- Replace 1 cup of the celery with a cup of chopped fennel. Fennel has a mild licorice flavor that will add a bit of a twist to our traditional turkey stuffing.
- A delicious addition! Add 1 to 2 cups of chopped fruit to the mix. Chopped apples, chopped dried apricots, raisins, currants or blueberries (yes, blueberries) are all amazing added to herbed turkey stuffing. Try it once and you’ll be hooked.
Did You Know?…
For many of us this type of stuffing is the one we remember from the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner tables of our pasts.
Others are looking for new ideas to create that perfect turkey stuffing that will become their family’s favorite holiday memory.
Any way you do it, this savory turkey stuffing recipe always tastes great.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.
Whether you are cooking Thanksgiving turkey, a special Christmas turkey or an every day “there’s no special reason, we just love turkey” turkey, a great turkey stuffing recipe is a must.