This is a lovely gingerbread recipe that adds a touch of honey and a bit of orange rind for a lovely taste.
This recipe is a bit lighter than the standard gingerbread cake found here.
The honey adds a lighter touch than using all molasses, as most ginger bread recipes do. It’s like a honey cake with ginger and cinnamon.
The addition of the orange rind is perfect. It adds that little hit of citrus that brightens up the flavor.
The spices are a nice blend too. Use a tad more ginger (another 1/4 teaspoon) if you really like ginger flavor. Otherwise I think you will love the recipe the way it is.
Gingerbread is often thought of as a holiday cake recipe, but it really is a perfect year round dessert.
I think of it more as a cool weather dessert, I guess because of the spices, which remind me of autumn and warm apple pie.
Try packing a little square of this ginger cake into family lunches or keep a batch on hand for when unexpected company drops in. It is sure to be a hit.
And remember, although it is an anytime easy cake recipe, this is a perfect recipe for holiday baking.
Gingerbread Recipe with Honey
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated, optional
- 1/2 cup molasses, light
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a heavy pan and let it cool.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and orange rind. Combine the molasses, honey and water. Beat the sugar and egg together until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients and the liquid ingredients alternatively to the cooled butter until it is all blended.
- Pour the batter into in a greased 9"x9"x2" inch pan and bake for about 1 hour at 350°F.
Makes one 9″ square cake, 9 to 12 servings.
- This recipe is great served with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream on top. No icing needed.