Most bran muffins are considered healthy, but this one is a very healthy bran muffin recipe. Fortunately it also tastes great, so I think you will love it.
It combines whole wheat flour with wheat bran and oat bran for extra fiber, taste and nutrition. It also has no sugar. These lovely muffins get their sweetness from apple butter, a rich puree made simply from apples.
I absolutely love this recipe for so many reasons. It is really a super healthy bran muffin recipe, not just because of the bran or even because of the whole wheat flour it calls for instead of white flour. I love that it is sweetened without sugar. We have so much hidden sugars in our diets. Apple butter is sweet, but it is a pure and natural sweet. Just make sure you do get apple butter with no added sugar.
Buttermilk is a fabulous ingredient to use in muffins. It is super healthy for us, plus buttermilk adds a touch of tartness to the muffins. It also makes the muffins lovely and tender. Any time you see milk in a muffin recipe you can substitute buttermilk.
Healthy Bran Muffin Recipe Sweetened with Apple Butter
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place the flour, wheat bran, oat bran, baking soda, cinnamon and walnuts in a large bowl and stir to mix together well. Add the apple butter, buttermilk, eggs and oil, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the raisins.
- Coat muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray, and fill each one 3/4 full with the batter. Bake at 450°F for about 15 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake them as they will dry out.
- Remove the muffin tin from the oven, and allowed it to sit for five minutes before removing the muffins.
- This recipe is fabulous if you use walnut oil in place of the vegetable oil.
- If you are lactose intolerant, please feel free to substitute an alternative milk like almond milk, soy milk or rice milk.
- You can use apple sauce instead of the apple butter if that is what you have on hand. The apple butter is a deeper and richer flavor than the applesauce, so I would increase the amount of cinnamon to 3/4 to 1 teaspoon if you use the apple sauce.
Serve these sugar free muffins warm or at room temperature. They are perfect with a bit of butter. Refrigerate any leftover muffins after 24 hours.
This recipe makes 12 muffins.
I love the oat bran in these sugar free muffins too. You will find lots of information about why oats are so good for us on the site here.
If you are looking for healthy snack recipes, add these apple butter muffins to your recipe box. They will be a hit for sure.
I have included this is our list of healthy diabetic recipes but it is chock full of healthy ingredients and is sweetened without any sugar at all. That said, it may be too high carb for you if your blood sugar is not well controlled. If that is the case, you can do two things: make mini muffins and just enjoy a small one once in a while or leave this out of your diabetic menu altogether. As muffins go, it’s pretty healthy though.