Lentils and rice are a delicious combination you may not have tried.
Plus, check out the protein content in the nutritional values box on the right. Lentils are a wonderful non-meat source of protein. That makes this recipe a wonderful vegetarian main course or, for us meat eaters, a perfect side dish or Meatless Monday option.
I think you will really enjoy the flavors – savory onion and garlic, mild (or hot) curry and the brightness of fresh cilantro. It’s a nice mix of flavors.
This is a wonderfully healthy recipe full of nutrients from every single ingredient in the list.
It’s a great vegetarian main course or side dish for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
If you are not a vegetarian, why not try a meatless Monday?
Lentils and Rice
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, small, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups red lentils, dry, uncooked
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook the brown rice in 4 cups water with 1 teaspoon of salt added for 35 to 45 minutes until tender.
- While the rice is cooking heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and curry powder. Cook for 2 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add the lentils and water. Cook for 20 minutes. Add the salt. Cook for 5 minutes. Mix in the chopped cilantro.
- Serve over the brown rice or see the note below.
- I serve it by mixing the rice and lentils together as shown in the picture above.
- If you use another kind of lentils, brown or green lentils for example, the cooking time may be a bit longer. Make sure to read the label on the bag to make sure you are cooking them long enough.
- You can also substitute white rice. The brown has a delicious chewy texture and is healthier, but does take much longer to cook.
Serve this wonderful lentil recipe as the main part of a vegetarian meal or as a side dish with chicken, fish or beef.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to share it on your favorite social media. Thanks a lot.