Lentils and Rice2014-05-13
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
8 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 45m
This information is per serving.
Total Fat4.1 g
Saturated Fat0.8 g
Total Carbohydrates65.7 g
Dietary Fiber21.7 g
Lentils and rice are a delicious combination you may not have tried.
Plus, check out the protein content in the nutritional values box on the right. Lentils are a wonderful non-meat source of protein. That makes this recipe a wonderful vegetarian main course or, for us meat eaters, a perfect side dish or Meatless Monday option.
I think you will really enjoy the flavors – savory onion and garlic, mild (or hot) curry and the brightness of fresh cilantro. It’s a nice mix of flavors.
Lentils and Rice
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked (250 ml)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (15 ml)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled & grated (2.5 cm)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (25 ml)
- 2 cups dry red lentils (500 ml)
- 4 cups water (1 L)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (250 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (2 ml)
Cook the brown rice in 4 cups water with 1 teaspoon of salt added for 35 to 45 minutes until tender.
While the rice is cooking heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and curry powder. Cook for 2 minutes. Do not brown.
Add the lentils and water. Cook for 20 minutes. Add the salt. Cook for 5 minutes. Mix in the chopped cilantro.
Serve over the brown rice or see the note below.
- I serve it by mixing the rice and lentils together as shown in the picture above.
- If you use another kind of lentils, brown or green lentils for example, the cooking time may be a bit longer. Make sure to read the label on the bag to make sure you are cooking them long enough.
- You can also substitute white rice. The brown has a delicious chewy texture and is healthier, but does take much longer to cook.
Serve this wonderful lentil recipe as the main part of a vegetarian meal or as a side dish with chicken, fish or beef.
This is a wonderfully healthy recipe full of nutrients from every single ingredient in the list. If you are not a vegetarian, why not try a meatless Monday?
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to share it on your favorite social media. Thanks a lot.