Red Velvet Cake Recipe2013-05-04
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
4 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 1 large cake
- Servings : 10
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 50m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat277
Red velvet cake is an unbelievable red cake with delicate chocolate flavor.
The buttermilk, vanilla, vinegar and cocoa give this delicious cake it’s distinctive flavor.
Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Lightly grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans. Set them aside.
In large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar together well. Beat in eggs until light and fluffy. Add salt. Beat in cake flour alternately with buttermilk. Make a paste of red food coloring and cocoa. Add it to the batter and beat well. Mix vanilla, baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the batter, then stir in.
Pour into the prepared pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until done when inserted with a toothpick. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out on to wire racks and let cool completely.
To prepare the vanilla frosting, combine the flour and milk in a small saucepan. Beat with a whisk until the mixture is smooth. Stir constantly over low heat until thickened. Cool. In medium bowl, cream sugar and butter or margarine. Add vanilla. Beat in cooled flour/milk mixture until frosting is fluffy and resembles whipped cream.
Frost between layers of the cooled cake, then frost the side and top of the cake.
- Powdered cocoa looks great sprinkled over the vanilla icing. Put the cocoa in a small strainer and tap the side as you pass it over the cake.
- Decorate with maraschino cherries on their stems. Just make sure the cherries are dried so they don’t discolor the icing with their juice.
- Although the traditional icing for red velvet cake is cream cheese icing, this version calls for vanilla icing. Use whatever you prefer.
I am not sure how the red idea came to be but all red velvet cake recipes have the same two signature ingredients, red coloring and cocoa powder.
Together they give this cake it’s distinctive dark red look.
This delicious cake recipe is a southern tradition that has gained popularity throughout North America. It is even becoming a favorite wedding cake flavor.
It is surprisingly easy to make.
Recipes for red velvet cake abound. The one above is quite delicious.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment and your favorite recipes below.