I call this my butternut squash soup recipe because I usually make it with butternut squash, but the truth is, you can use almost any squash you prefer.
If you want acorn squash soup, simply replace the butternut squash with an equal amount of acorn squash.
This is one of my favorite healthy soup recipes. It is easy and quick to make and tastes absolutely delicious.
It’s a vegetarian soup recipe too if you use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. It will taste just as heavenly.
This is a perfect cool weather soup, but great any time of the year.
And it is so healthy. It’s a wonderful way to get your veggies. Eat them in soup form.
Squash soup is so elegant I think it is a perfect entertaining recipe. You can easily serve this wonderful soup as a first course with many types of entree.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, large, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 butternut squash, large, peeled and chopped
- 4 1/4 cups chicken stock, or vegetable, homemade or canned
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- Heat the oil, add the onion and cook until it has just softened but not browned. Stir in the curry powder and cook it for 1 minute. Add the squash and stir well. Add the stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the squash is soft, about 20 minutes or so.
- Blend the soup with a hand blender or put it into a regular blender in small batches. Blend until you reach the consistency you want. then return it to the pot. Mix the yogurt and chutney together. Stir the mixture into the soup and serve.
Tips and Variations:
- Use zucchini instead of squash.
- You can make this soup ahead and just reheat it when needed. If you make it in advance, don’t add the yogurt mixture until you reheat it.
- Serve a little shredded coconut with this and additional chutney if desired.
For diabetics: This is a very healthy soup, but the mango chutney has a fair bit of sugar in it. If your body is very sensitive to sugar and carbs, please feel free to replace it with a sugar free option or leave it out altogether.