There are some great sandwich recipes on these pages.
Who doesn’t love a good sandwich? The good news is that no matter what eating regime you are following – gluten free, diabetic, healthy or just anything I want to eat right now, there are delicious sandwich ideas just waiting for you.
Look below the list of recipes for great suggestions for making your sandwiches even more delicious and healthy.
And keep coming back to this page, as I am adding new recipe ideas all the time.
Chicken Parmigiana Sandwich
Chicken Salad with Fruit and Nuts
Leah’s Chicken Salad Sandwich
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Strawberry Stuffed French Toast Sandwich
Vietnamese Banh Mi
- Use fresh ingredients either raw or grilled.
- Vary the breads. Try baguettes, multi-grains, dark rye, Portuguese corn-bread, sourdough, flour tortillas, pita bread, English muffins, ciabatta bread or foccacia. Use your imagination when you are in the bakery section.
- Eat sandwiches as soon as you make them. Sandwiches are wonderful when fresh, but pretty boring if they aren’t.
- Use good quality mayonnaise and spice it up. Use a flavored mayonnaise to make even the lowliest ingredients shine. To flavor mayonnaise add pesto, mustard, garlic, lemon juice, anchovy paste, chopped green onions, ginger, sesame oil, chipotle peppers or any herb or spice.
- For a lower fat version of your favorite mayonnaise based salad, use yogurt instead of mayonnaise. Or, if you don’t want to use a mayonnaise type dressing at all, make a flavored salad dressing and brush it over the bread. This is especially good if you grill the bread first.
Here are a few sandwich ideas to add variety and spice to your life:
- Grilled tuna with anchovy mayonnaise, sliced onions, tomatoes, chopped black olives and romaine on sourdough bread
- Grilled salmon with bacon, tomatoes, arugula and dill mayonnaise on multi-grain bread.
- Grilled eggplant, zucchini and onions with pesto and sliced asiago cheese on focaccia.
- Sliced roast beef with grilled peppers and chili mayonnaise wrapped in tortillas.
A Novel “Sandwich” Idea
Trying to cut carbs or just slow down on eating bread? No problem! You can still enjoy pretty much any of your favorite sandwiches. Just make “no bread” sandwiches. They’re easy, healthy and yummy.
Get whole leaves of nice crispy lettuce and fill them with your favorite sandwich fillings. Romaine and Boston (cos) lettuces work really well for this. They have a nice wide leaf and add a refreshing crunch to any filling you use. It makes pretty much any sandwich low carb and gluten free too, two nice side benefits. Check out the Asian chicken lettuce wraps recipe above. It’s a perfect example of what we are talking about.
Make healthy sandwich recipes by using multigrain breads and artisan breads for your creations. Bread from a bake shop is usually (not always) healthier than bagged bread, so try things like sprouted grain breads and artisnal breads, especially those made with unusual grains or nuts. Or omit the bread altogether and use lettuce to wrap your favorite fillings, as in the idea above. They really are good and healthier for you than a plate full of bread.
Of course there are more and more gluten-free breads available as well, some of them that are quite tasty. Some gluten-free flour replacements are lower in carbs too, a real benefit for those needing healthy diabetic recipes.
If you like these recipes, I would really appreciate it if you share it on social media. Thanks.