These make ahead mashed potatoes can be refrigerated for 2 days before using or frozen without losing their texture for up to a week.
What a time saver if you are preparing a large meal.
This easy mashed potatoes recipe means one less thing on your to do list on the big day.
This mashed potato casserole is delicious the day it’s made too.
It also makes a great take along for a pot luck supper.
Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- 3 1/2 pounds potatoes
- 8 ounces cream cheese, herbed
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to your taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Place in large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain potatoes well and put back on burner at low heat for a few minutes to dry off any excess water.
- Mash potatoes well with ricer or masher.
- In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, sour cream, eggs, onions, butter, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Fold in mashed potatoes and combine thoroughly. Spoon potato mixture into a greased 11"x7" inch baking dish.
- The potatoes can be prepared to this point and either refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to one week. If you freeze the recipe, thaw it slowly in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days, then let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until heated through.
- The recipe makes 10 to 12 servings.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese or a mix of your favorite cheeses for the last 10 minutes of baking time.