This is a fantastic sugar free cake recipe.
It gets its sweetness from dates and raisins. That’s it. No sugar at all.
This easy cake recipe is perfect for diabetics who want a bit of a treat and for anyone who wants dessert and to eat healthy. Who says you can’t have it both ways? You really can with this great date and carrot cake recipe.
You don’t have to be diabetic or on a diet to love this cake though. Adults and kids alike will love this easy cake recipe.
The carrots, cinnamon and other spices give this cake great flavor.
You can bake it in a bundt pan or ring mold or a square baking pan. I prefer to make it in a square pan, so it cuts into squares that are easy to pack into lunches or serve as a snack. It’s a great snack cake.
You can’t get much healthier than a cake made with whole wheat flour, vegetables and no sugar!
This is my kind of dessert – very easy to make and healthy too. I hope you enjoy it.
A Sugar Free Cake Recipe: Carrot Date Cake
- 1/2 cup carrots, grated
- 1 1/4 cups dates, finely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped, or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the carrots, dates, water, raisins, butter and spices in a pan. Bring to a boil slowly and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, stir the dry ingredients together, then add it with the nuts to the wet mixture you simmered. Stir the entire mixture together until it is well blended. Pour the cake batter into a well greased and floured 9 inch ring mold or square pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 45-50 minutes.
- To fill a large bundt pan or a 9"x13" pan, make a double recipe.
Makes 9 to 16 servings.
Kids and adults alike will love this date and carrot cake recipe. And the great part is that the kids won’t have any idea how healthy it is for them. (We’ll forget too!)
Yes, it still has some carbs, so those following a diabetic diet have to watch portion control, but isn’t it nice to know you can have a treat once in a while? And this recipe isn’t just a diabetic recipe. It is important to cut down on the amount of sugar most of us consume and this easy, healthy cake recipe is a great way to do it.
If you like our date and carrot sugar free cake recipe, have a look at our other sugar free carrot cake recipe. This one is sweetened with honey and pineapple.
Want to be the first to know about new recipes and articles on Cookingnook.com? Sign up here for site updates and never miss a great recipe.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below. Thanks a lot.