Orange and Beet Salad2013-04-22
Average Member Rating
(4.5 / 5)
4 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 4 to 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat110
This is a fantastic tasting beet salad.
It is topped with a vinaigrette and has the unusual added ingredient of oranges.
I have come across few orange recipes. This one pairs the oranges nicely with cooked beets.
It is a great combination and makes a wonderful lunch or dinner side salad recipe.
- 1 pound small beets (500 g)
- 1/3 cup olive oil (75 ml)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (25 ml)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (5 ml)
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 oranges
- lettuce leaves or micro greens
Cook the beets, covered, for 10 to 20 minutes or until tender in a pot of salted water . Drain and cool under cold running water. Peel the beets, then slice them thinly or cut them into small wedges (as in the picture). Place the beets in a bowl.
In small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and cayenne. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the beets and toss it all to coat.
Peel and remove the skin and outer white membrane from the oranges. Cut the oranges into slices 1/4 inch thick or into wedges. The recipe can be prepared ahead to this point, covered and refrigerated for up to 8 hours. (Note that if you refrigerate it at this point to NOT add the oranges as the beets will make them discolor. They will taste fine but the salad will not look as appealing.)
Arrange lettuce leaves on a serving platter or on individual serving plates. Arrange the beet salad and oranges on the lettuce. Sprinkle any remaining dressing on top and serve.
Serving Suggestions and Tips:
- Here is a tip: When you peel the beets, wear rubber gloves or another water proof hand covering to keep your hands from being stained with the red beet juice.
- Sprinkle a few pomegranate seeds around the plate for added color and great presentation.
- Whether you slice the beets and oranges or cut them into wedges, do the same for each of them. Your plate will look much nicer with all slices or all wedges.
- You can also add a little bit of feta cheese, crumbled to the top of the salad.
A Very Healthy Salad
Beets are very healthy for us. They contain magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, potassium, vitamins A and C and niacin.
Beets also contain folic acid, which is highly recommended for pregnant women because it has been shown to lower the risk of certain birth defects.
Of course we all know the benefits of eating oranges and other citrus fruits, rich in Vitamin C and other nutrients.
Give this easy salad recipe a try. It is different, looks wonderful on the table and is very nutritious. It’s also a great recipe for diabetics.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below. Thanks.