Pear Recipes: Cranberry Pecan Pear Crumble2013-05-15
Average Member Rating
(4.7 / 5)
3 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 3:000 h
- Ready In : 3:20 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat146
We don’t see that many pear recipes for dessert, although pears are a popular fruit.
This Cranberry Pecan Pear Crumble (or pear crisp as some may call it) is an easy pear and cranberry dessert that is “baked” in the slow cooker.
Cranberry Pecan Pear Crumble
- 6 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) cranberries
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Demerara or other raw cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Lightly grease the stoneware of a medium sized (approximately 4 quart) slow cooker.
1. In the prepared stoneware, combine pears, cranberries, sugar and orange zest and juice. Stir to combine.
2. Topping: In a bowl, combine pecans, whole wheat and all-purpose flours, rolled oats, sugar and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, 2 knives or your fingers, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over fruit.
3. Place a clean tea towel, folded in half (so you will have 2 layers), over top of the stoneware to absorb moisture. Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, until fruit is hot, tender and juicy.
Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- If you are halving this recipe, be sure to use a small (approximately 1 1/2 to 2 quart) slow cooker.
- Vegan Alternative: Substitute an equal quantity of non-hydrogenated margarine for the butter and drizzle with soy creamer instead of finishing with a dairy product.
Did You Know?…
This fantastic slow cooker dessert recipe is from a wonderful cookbook called Slow Cooker Comfort Food: 275 Soul-Satisfying Recipes, by Judith Finlayson.
Crockpot dessert recipes? We so often think of the slow cooker as just for the main course, but this wonderful recipe shows the versatility of that appliance.
The combination of pears and cranberries adds a pleasant twist to this old favorite. Pecans add a rich taste and crunchy texture.
Make it any time, but just imagine it during those first chilly autumn days, when both fruits are plentiful and at their peak.
You will definitely want more pear recipes after you try this.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.