Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheese Recipe2013-10-18
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 40m
This information is per serving.
I love this cauliflower and broccoli cheese recipe. Cauliflower and broccoli taste great together and they both are perfect with a cheese sauce. So it makes sense that this cheesy broccoli and cauliflower gratin would be so delicious.
This recipe takes a few minutes to put together but is well worth the effort. It’s a great entertaining recipe. Everyone you serve it to will absolutely love it.
Give this one a try.
Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (see below recipe)
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon horseradish, squeezed dry (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Butter a 7"x11" baking dish or coat with baking spray. Cut enough cauliflower and broccoli into bite-size pieces to nearly fill the dish.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the vegetables and cook for 2 minutes or until they are cooked but still quite crisp. Drain in a colander and cool under cold running water. Drain again, turning into the baking dish.
Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, basil or parsley, horseradish, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and stir it in. Set aside.
At this point, the vegetables and crumbs can be covered separately and refrigerated for up to a day.
To make the sauce, melt the second two tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir frequently for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens and just boils. Stir in the salt and cheese on low heat. Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the vegetables.
Scatter the crumb mixture evenly over the vegetables. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the vegetable gratin is bubbly around the edges and the topping is crisp and brown.
Tips and Variations:
- If you want to just have a broccoli cheese recipe, simply double up on the broccoli and omit the cauliflower. It’s that easy.
- You can make this a bit ahead which is great if you have a lot in the oven for a big dinner. Gratin holds together well and will remain hot for half an hour or so after you remove it from the oven. Keep it covered though.
- To make fresh bread crumbs, whirl cubes of day-old bread, including crusts, in a food processor or blender until fine crumbs form.
- The Dijon mustard adds just a bit of zip to the broccoli and cauliflower gratin. It’s not overpowering, just a nice hint of flavor.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.
Click here to add your own favorite recipes.