I love a good cabbage soup recipe. Europeans refer to this soup as borscht or cabbage borscht, but in North America we just tend to say cabbage soup.
This soup recipe, shared by Elva H of Midway, British Columbia, Canada, has lots of steps but looks like it will taste simply amazing.
The ingredients are super healthy. Use the fresh dill if you have it or can get it. Otherwise use dried and add it earlier in the cooking process.
I am definitely try this recipe.
Cabbage Soup Recipe or Cabbage Borscht
- 3 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, divided
- 5 or 6 potatoes, medium size, peeled and cut in halves
- 1 carrot, large, finely chopped
- 1/2 beet, peeled
- 1 onion, small, chopped
- salt to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded, divided
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, or dried
- Put 2/1/2 quarts water to boil in large kettle. Add 1/2 cup canned tomatoes. When water is boiling drop in about 5 or 6 medium size potatoes peeled and cut in halves. Chop 1 large carrot, cut fine and add. Add 1/2 peeled beet. Salt to taste after adding 1 small chopped onion.
- While this is cooking, put into a frying pan 3 tablespoons butter. When melted add 3/4 cup onion, chopped fine. Let cook a few minutes, but do not let brown. Add 3 cups canned tomatoes and let simmer with onion and butter until a thick sauce. Set to back of stove.
- Into a separate frying pan put 2-3 tablespoons butter to melt. Add 2 cups shredded cabbage and fry. Cook tender but do not brown. Shred another 2 cups raw cabbage to add later to the borscht.
- When the potatoes are tender remove them to a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons butter, mash well, then add 1/2 cup sweet cream and mix well and set aside. When you remove the potatoes, also remove the beet and discard it. Add 1 1/2 cups raw potatoes to the stock. Also add 1/2 cup of the onion-tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons butter to the borscht When diced potatoes are tender, put the remainder of the shredded cabbage in. Bring just to the boiling point but do not let it boil.
- Reduce heat or set to back of stove and add mashed potato mixture and the fried cabbage. Now add the remainder of the onion-tomato sauce. Add 1/2 cup fresh green peppers chopped and a few shakes of black pepper. Stir well. Add 1 teaspoon fresh or dried dill.
This is a super healthy recipe, great for cool winter days.