This delicious cream of broccoli soup has a bit of a twist. It is packed with healthy goodies like garlic, tomato and spinach.
It’s one of those broccoli cheese soup recipes that is not only a breeze to make, but also full of things that are good for us.
An added bonus for healthy soup recipe fans is that this recipe uses milk instead of cream to create that creamy taste.
You can use cream of course and it will be rich and delicious, but using lower fat milk keeps the fat content and calories down. For that reason this is a great diet soup recipe.
I love this easy soup recipe for all of the wonderfully healthy vegetables it includes. It isn’t your traditional broccoli soup recipe, heavy with cream. This recipe includes a rich variety of vegetables that all bring their unique health benefits to make this a very healthy meal in a bowl.
Easy Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe with Vegetables
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 cups chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- 2 potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, fresh, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot. Cook garlic, celery, onions, carrots and rosemary until onions are softened (about 5 minutes). Add stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and cook with lid on for about 8 minutes to cook potatoes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to mix well. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Whisk flour into milk and stir gradually into the pot (make sure heat is at medium). Add broccoli. Cook for 5 minutes until broccoli is just done.
- Add spinach and cook until just wilted, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (You will probably not need much salt if you use prepared broth or dried broth cubes so taste it first).
- Use low fat milk to lower the fat content of the recipe.
- For a vegetarian broccoli garlic vegetable soup, replace the chicken broth with an equal amount of vegetable stock.
- Replace the rosemary with an equal amount of thyme for a different flavor.
- Use baby spinach leaves for a more delicate appearance and flavor.
- Add grated cheddar cheese on top of soup when ready to serve to turn this into a broccoli cheddar cheese soup recipe.