I love easy cake recipes and this topsy turvy cake really fits that description well.
It is a bit of chocolate cake, cheese cake and coconut cake all mixed together, with some nuts thrown in for extra taste and crunch.
Topsy turvy cake is one of those amazing cake mix recipes.
You simply start with a store bought cake mix, add a few ingredients and you have an delicious new creation, ready for the oven in minutes.
This is an easy cake to make when you are having company. It’s also great for lunches or on a buffet table. It’s simple but so good.
Topsy Turvy Cake Recipe
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, baking type, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces confectioners sugar
- 1 package cake mix, devil's food with pudding
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine pecans and coconut spread over the bottom of a greased 9"x13" baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the melted chocolate and vanilla. Add confectioners sugar. Beat the mixture until well blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, egg and oil. Mix, using the low speed of an electric mixer for 30 seconds, then continue at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour the batter over the pecan mixture. Drop tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture over the cake batter to within 1 inch of edges.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Amazing served warm. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The cake can be served plain and is quite yummy the way it is. If you want to decorate it you can:
- cover the cake with chocolate or mocha icing
- serve it with a dollop of whipped cream
- or – for real decadence – even pour a bit of caramel sauce over it. Top with more finely chopped pecans and a sprinkling of coconut. Delicious!