This is a wonderful, chocolate cake recipe, perfect for busy people on the go.
It actually mixes together right in the baking pan! Can’t get much easier than that.
This is a great chocolate cake to make as a snack cake. The kids (and adults) will love it as an after school or after dinner treat.
Want to make this easy cake recipe super healthy? Make the oatmeal and molasses version of the cake. (The variation to the recipe is just below the recipe.) Instead of adding raisins, add an equal amount of cocoa nibs.
Cocoa nibs are small pieces of unprocessed chocolate. They result after the raw cacao beans have been roasted. The husks and germ are removed and the cocoa nibs are then used to make the chocolate we all love so much.
The good news is that cocoa nibs are extremely health for us. They are higher in antioxidants than red wine, blueberries or green tea.
Cocoa in general contains tryptophan which helps with mood elevation as well as chromium. Chromium has been shown to help stabilize blood sugar and reduce appetite.
Cocoa contains fat but it is healthy mono unsaturated fat. Bring on the cocoa and cocoa nibs!
Look below the recipe for more information and two fantastic variations of this delicious easy snack cake recipe.
Easy Double Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 2/3 cups flour, do not use self-rising flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed, or granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- powdered sugar, optional
- Heat the oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt with a fork in an ungreased square pan, 8x8x2 inches. Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate chips and powdered sugar. Make sure it is all well blended. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar over the top of the cake if desired.
Here are two wonderful variations for this easy cake recipe:
Fruity Chocolate Cake:
Omit the chocolate chips. Stir 1/2 cup diced dried fruit and raisins into the flour mixture. Dried cranberries or dried blueberries work really well.
Oatmeal Molasses Snack Cake:
Omit the cocoa, vanilla and chocolate chips. Stir 3/4 cup quick cooking oats, 1/2 cup raisins and 1 teaspoon allspice into the flour mixture. Stir in 2 tablespoons dark molasses with the remaining ingredients.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media. You can also share a comment below Thanks so much.
Subscribe to the site here and never miss a great recipe.