Eggnog (or egg nog) is THE traditional Christmas time drink. Nothing is nicer than eggnog that is freshly made.
Homemade egg nog is SO much better than what you get in the carton at the grocery store and very easy to make. You really won’t believe the difference if you have never tasted it.
Eggnog is a welcome addition to any holiday party and definitely worth that extra bit of effort.
If you don’t want to use real rum, it’s not a problem. Just add a very few drops of rum flavoring to the mixture. It will give you the flavor without the alcohol.
Try making our real homemade egg nog recipe the next time you are in the mood for this wonderful holiday beverage. It is one of Christmastime’s favorite drink recipes.
- 3 eggs, large, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup rum
- ground nutmeg
- Mix the eggs, sugar and salt in a heavy 2 quart saucepan. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture just coats a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Place the saucepan in cold water until the custard is cool. If the custard curdles, beat vigorously with a hand beater until smooth. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24.
- Just before serving, beat the whipping cream, powdered sugar and remaining vanilla in a chilled medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff. Gently stir in 1 cup of the whipped cream, the rum and food colouring into the custard. Pour the custard mixture into a small punchbowl.
- Drop the remaining whipped cream in mounds onto the custard mixture. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve immediately and refrigerate any leftovers.
Notes and Variations:
- If you really want that creamy egg color, you can add just 1 to 2 drops of yellow food coloring. I don’t think it is necessary but some people want their eggnog to look like the store bought variety.
- To Make Low Fat Eggnog:
Substitute 2 eggs plus 2 egg whites for the 3 eggs and 2 1/4 cups skim milk for the milk. Substitute 2 cups frozen (thawed) reduced-fat whipped topping for the beaten whipped cream, powdered sugar and vanilla.