If plain peas are getting a bit boring, try this peas recipe that adds mushrooms and herbs for something just a little different.
The peas are mixed with fresh mushrooms and some savory flavors.
It is simple and easy, yet full of flavor. Give it a try and see what you think.
Peas are not just a tasty vegetable. They are very healthy too.
One full cup of peas has only 41 calories, making them very low calorie, and great for watching your waist. That same cup of peas has 21g of carbohydrates, making them less suitable in large amounts for a low carb diet. For the rest of us though, and for low carb dieters in moderation, peas are a nutrition powerhouse.
Peas are a good source of protein, Vitamins A and B6, as well as copper, niacin and phosphorus. They are low in sodium and have no cholesterol or saturated fat. Peas are a great source of vitamin C and Vitamin K.
Mushrooms are also low in cholesterol and fat. They are a good source of fiber, Vitamin C, folate and iron and protein and a very good source of Vitamins D and B6, thiamin and riboflavin.
Put these two delicious vegetables together and you have a healthy vegetable side dish recipe that is also sure to be a hit.
Mushrooms and Green Peas
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, small, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, or oil
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups green peas, cooked if fresh
- Melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Cook the mushrooms and onion in the butter until the onion is tender but not brown.
- Add the salt, marjoram, pepper, nutmeg and the peas. Mix lightly, cover and cook until the peas are heated through.
- You can substitute a good quality oil, like a grapeseed oil, for the butter. However, the butter does add a wonderful rich flavor to the vegetables.
This recipe is also vegan if you use vegetable oil in place of the butter.
I call this a low carb recipe, but it’s not considered low carb in the early stages of an Atkins or Keto diet. The peas are higher in carbs. This is a good diabetic recipe however and is gluten free.