Barbara K of Peterborough, Ontario Canada originally submitted her Mom’s Spanish Rice recipe for us to enjoy.
It’s super easy and sounds really good.
With the addition of the ham, all you need for a complete meal is to add a vegetable and a salad. It’s a real 30 minute meal recipe.
I have added chorizo sausage as an option because lots of us like things a bit spicy. Use either or leave it without meat for a great vegetarian side dish.
The next time you are making rice for dinner cook up a second batch, save it for the next day and make this great Spanish rice.
Mom's Spanish Rice
- 1 onion, medium, diced
- 1/2 pound ham, chopped or sliced chorizo sausage
- 3 cups tomato juice, or V-8 cocktail
- 3 cups cooked rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook onion until soft. Add ham and continue cooking until it is browned, about 10 minutes altogether.
- Add tomato or V-8 juice and continue cooking until the juice thickens down to about 1/2 its volume. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add the cooked rice to the ham, onion and juice mixture. Continue cooking for a few minutes to let the rice absorb some of the flavors.
Garnish with sliced stuffed olives if desired.
- If it is too dry add a little more juice.
- If you like things spicy add hot sauce to your desired heat.
- Add sliced green olives to the recipe for added punch. The ones you see in the image are garlic stuffed olives.