This delicious Italian vegetable casserole is a fabulous side dish for so many dinner recipes.
It could also be served as a vegetarian main course, with a side salad and crunchy Italian bread.
Zucchini and tomatoes seem like they are made for each other and in this zucchini recipe they are paired with other savory flavors that marry perfectly together.
More About This Fantastic Vegetable Casserole:
What better to combine with zucchini and tomatoes than garlic, onions and peppers? All of these ingredients are incredibly healthy for us too. This recipe is a perfect example of the Mediterranean diet, with healthy ingredients that taste great.
Zucchini and tomatoes are a traditional and popular Mediterranean combination for one reason – they are delicious together.
Simply sauté all of the ingredients together lightly, place it all in a baking dish and give it a savory topping of bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. The topping will crisp up in the oven and be fabulous.
It also works well with grilled or baked meats, like chicken or beef.
Vegetable Casserole, Italian Style
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 green pepper, or red, yellow or orange pepper, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Sauté the onion, celery and garlic in the oil until they are soft. Add the zucchini, tomatoes and green pepper, and brown them lightly. Season with salt and pepper. Place the vegetable mixture with all of the juices in a casserole dish, and sprinkle the top with the crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.
- If you love garlic, use 2 to 3 cloves. It will be fabulous.
- There is no need to moisten the bread crumbs with oil or butter before you add them to the top of the casserole. They will turn out nice and crunchy.
- For great color, try using one green zucchini and one yellow (summer squash).
- Add 1/2 cup of green peas for extra color and nutrition.
Here’s a suggestion: Get out your bread machine and make authentic Italian focaccia bread to soak up the wonderful juices.
This Italian casserole is not only delicious, it’s very healthy too. Every ingredient in it is healthy for us.
This casserole recipe suits many special diets. It is a great diabetic recipe. It is fairly low carb too. The bread crumbs prevent it from being a super low carb recipe, so if you need that, simply leave them out.