Cheesy Beef Burritos Recipe2013-04-24
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
2 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 10
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 50m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat96
This is a delicious recipe for beef and cheese burritos.
I love Mexican food and this burrito recipe is so tasty, I want to make it every time I see it.
It calls for two cheeses, cream cheese and grated cheddar or Monteray Jack cheese.
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 ounces Neufchâtel or cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces of cheddar cheese or Monteray Jack cheese, grated
- 1 sweet green or red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 6-inch flour tortillas
- vegetable cooking spray
- 5 cups shredded lettuce
- plain low fat yogurt
- sliced fresh green chilies (optional)
- 16 ounces canned whole tomatoes
- 4 ounces canned diced green chillies, drained
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
Combine the ground chuck, chopped pepper and onions in a large skillet. Cook until the beef is browned. As the meat cooks add the salt, oregano, cumin and garlic powder. Add the cream cheese and stir until combined. Drain off the pan drippings.
Fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup of beef mixture. Sprinkle each burrito with a bit of grated cheddar cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in a 12"x7"x2" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
While the recipe is baking, combine the tomatoes, diced chilies, cornstarch, sugar and coriander in the container of a blender. Process until smooth. Pour the tomato mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Place each rolled tortilla on 1/2 cup of lettuce. Top with the tomato sauce and a dollop of yogurt. Garnish with fresh chillies, if desired.
Tips and Variations:
- I like to pour some of the tomato sauce over the tortillas before you bake them. That way the tortilla shells don’t dry out in the oven. Covering them as the recipe states does help, but I think they still dry out a little.
- I also add a bit of grated cheddar cheese to the top before baking.
- If you don’t want the two types of cheese you can replace the cream cheese with the cheddar.
Did You Know?…
The list of ingredients may look a bit long but it is really a simple recipe to put together.
The spices and herbs listed, combined with the tomatoes and chilies makes an exceptionally tasty sauce.
You can also add extra grated cheese to the top just before baking if you want really decadent cheesy burritos.
This is a great easy dinner recipe. Simply add a large salad and dinner is complete.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.