Mexican Crab Dip2013-07-18
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 8 to 10
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 15m
This information is per serving.
Total Fat22.7 g
Saturated Fat14.0 g
Total Carbohydrates8.8 g
I love this crab dip. It is a mix of cream cheese, tangy seafood sauce, veggies and canned crab.
This crab and cream cheese appetizer recipe can be prepared two ways and both are outlined in the directions below. The first way is to mix the beautiful crab meat and seafood sauce into the cream cheese mix, with the veggies and cheese sprinkled on top as shown in the image.
The second is an easy variation of the traditional layered Mexican dip recipe, often called a layered surprise spread. The surprise is a can of crab meat.
- 12 ounces cream cheese (1 1/2 packages)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can crab meat, well drained (7 ounces)
- 1 cup seafood sauce
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese (see notes)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup diced green pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped tomato
Beat the cream cheese and sour cream together until they are smooth. Add in the crab meat and seafood sauce and mix all together well.
Cover and chill until ready to serve. When ready to serve, top with the chopped green onion, pepper and tomatoes.
Serve with tortilla chips. Or try it with wedges of pita bread.
This Mexican dip can also be served as a layered dip. Here’s how you would do it.
Beat the cream cheese and sour cream together until the mixture is smooth. Spread it evenly in a shallow flat serving dish. Cover with a layer of the crab meat, then with a layer of seafood sauce.
Sprinkle a layer of onion, then green pepper, tomato, and finally the cheese on top.
Notes and Suggestions:
- I suggest using a mix of cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, but try your favorites. Sharp cheddar cheese or tangy Monterey Jack cheese work really well.
- If you are using a narrower, deeper serving dish, like in the image above, make two layers of each ingredient.
- You can fresh crab meat if you prefer and have the budget for it.
If you like crab, you will love this tasty crab dip recipe.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.