Taco Salad Recipe2013-05-21
Average Member Rating
(4.7 / 5)
7 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 8 to 10
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 20m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat369
I think you will love this tasty taco salad recipe. It’s loaded with taste.
Just take traditional taco or nacho ingredients, mix them together in a salad and top with crushed tortilla chips – voila, an easy recipe for taco salad.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 packages taco seasoning mix or 4 to 5 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning mix
- few drops of hot sauce (optional)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, chopped
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 can black olives, chopped
- 1 large bag of tortilla chips, crumbled
- 1 8-ounce bottle oil and vinegar salad dressing
Brown the ground beef with the chopped yellow onion. Add 1 package of taco seasoning mix and water according to the package directions. When browned, set the meat mixture aside to let it cool completely. If you like it hot, add a few drops (or lots) of your favorite hot sauce.
In a large bowl, mix together the chopped lettuce, tomato, cheeses, avocado, red onion, olives, and the second package of taco seasoning. Add the cooled beef mixture and stir together. Keep cool until ready to serve.
Just before serving toss the whole mixture with the salad dressing. Add the crushed Doritos or tortilla chips.
Tips and Variations:
- Add a can of black beans to the meat mixture to create a frito and bean salad. With the beans added especially, this salad is a meal in itself.
- Add chopped jalapeno peppers if you like heat.
- Change up the salad dressing. Try Catalina or ranch dressing if you prefer. Or, a low fat alternative, is to eat the salad topped with salsa.
- Serve extra crushed tortilla chips on the side so people can add extra if they want.
This recipe uses prepared taco seasoning mix. If you prefer to season the beef using your own seasoning mix, that’s much better. You can find our recipe for taco seasoning mix here.
Make it healthier by using less meat and more vegetables.
You can use all cheddar cheese for this recipe, but the mix of cheddar and Monterey Jack, both cheeses that have a lot of taste, is just perfect to me.
If you want to up the heat level, add some chopped jalapeno peppers and more hot sauce to the meat mixture.
Taco salad recipes are terrific to serve a group and great party pleasers.
The salad itself is gluten free if you use the homemade taco seasoning mix (see link above). Use gluten free tortillas for a totally gluten free recipe. Use low carb tortillas to keep this a low carb recipe. This is a good recipe for those on diabetic diets too.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment and your favorite recipes below.
Add some guacamole, a side dish of sour cream and more jalapeno peppers on the side for those who like it hot.