Although this delicious lemony almond cake is a gluten free recipe, don’t be mistaken.
This cake is not just for those who need to follow a gluten free diet.
Whether they need to eat gluten free or not, just about anyone who eats this cake recipe will love it.
Gluten free recipes are a necessity for those who cannot tolerate wheat, and it can be difficult to find good dessert recipes that don’t use wheat, especially baked desserts.
This recipe is perfect. It uses ground almonds instead of flour, a common substitution in gluten free recipes.
This wonderful cake is not too sweet. It would be wonderful served with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
Lemony Almond Cake (Gluten Free)
- 1 1/3 cups almonds, slivered
- 8 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, large, separated
- 5 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- confectioners'sugar for dusting
- fresh berries and whipped cream for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 9 inch cake pan. Line the bottom of the pan with waxed paper and butter the paper. In a food processor, process the almonds with 2 tablespoons of sugar, until finely ground. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the processor, process the egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of sugar, the lemon zest, cinnamon and salt together for 1 minute. Add to the almond mixture and stir until blended. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites on low speed until foamy, then increase to medium speed and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the almond mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack. Unmold onto a plate and remove the paper. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream.